VICIDIAL Auto Installer for 100k usd!?!?!!

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

VICIDIAL Auto Installer for 100k usd!?!?!!

Postby Op3r » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:49 pm

Someone from india approached a friend of mine and told my friend that he is selling an autoinstaller of vicidial for 100k usd. I was like jesus! and my friend was pretty convinced about it.

the guy said that its like trixbox installation process. and I said to my friend I also have vicidial auto install script that can do a multi server load balance installation! it even comes with pre configured sip accounts to be used with vicidial and the best of all it autopatches the servers to stable releases of vicidial. my friend said he is willing to buy my script for 300k. What a gullible guy.

Beware people. I never even heard matt have an auto installer for vicidial. But I know its on the roadmap. be vigilant.
Get paid for US outbound Toll Free calls. PM me.
Op3r

Postby mflorell » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:28 am

I have been hearing a lot of stories like that recently, mostly the clients end up with a half functioning system when the installers take the money and run, then I end up referring them to the consultants listed on the project site.

There is not too much I can do about any of that at this time because VICIDIAL is GPL and can be installed by anyone, and if the potential clients don't do their own research about it it is easy for them to get burned.

As VICIDIAL becomes more mature and is used at more and more companies this will keep getting worse unfortunately, and there are already companies that have repackaged VICIDIAL as their own without permission and charge large amounts of money for it. All I can do is hope that people inform me of the people that are doing this so that I can confront them.

Could you possibly get the contact details for the company that offered the auto-install VICIDIAL and send it to me off-list?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Op3r » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 pm

yeah sure matt.

i mean I really want this project to mature to the point it can rival those pricey dialers. i dont want people trying to scam people down.

and for others out there. theres no such thing as per seat license og vicidial. i know some who charge it. :P
Op3r

Re: VICIDIAL Auto Installer for 100k usd!?!?!!

Postby rain » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:09 am

Op3r wrote:my friend said he is willing to buy my script for 300k. What a gullible guy.

Are you also selling vicidial auto install script like the indian guy who sells his installer for 100k?

Op3r wrote:and for others out there. theres no such thing as per seat license og vicidial. i know some who charge it

I am planning also to sell vicidial but I am confused how to charge clients.
I also have in mind to sell the vicidial per seat? Is there any problem with that? Please advised.
rain

Postby Op3r » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:29 am

its a retort. I am just saying that Im claiming to have an autoinstaller of vicidial. hahaha. and he was so serious of buying it for 300,000 usd hahahah what a poor guy.

as for charging clients per seat like its a license I dont know. Cos I dont do that. I just charge them installation fees. after that then if they want support I charge them for level 2 support. and if they want some mods I charge them
appropriately for it.

Lets not go to charging clients on per seat basis. Even to the point that if they want to add 4 more seats and charging them for it. if we do that then we are no better than those expensive dialers. If im going to charge a client for 500 usd per seat, they might just be better off getting aheeva. and you also get training with it too. and also support.

in order for more people to use vicidial and forcing the code to mature, we as consultants and users should also not be greedy. I hate it when some people asks me if the vicidial they purchased is licensed. cos they can only use the specified seats that they purchased. :(
Op3r

Postby mflorell » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:32 am

There are a lot of different ways that you can charge for installing and maintaining a VICIDIAL system. Some companies will change for installation on a per-seat basis and that is OK, but it is important that the client is told(and that they understand) that VICIDIAL is Open Source GPL software and does not require license fees to use and it cannot be restricted by a number of seats.

It is also very important that the client have access to the source code and that the company selling the installation and service is not trying to pass VICIDIAL off as their own proprietary product.

As for costs of installation and service, that is entierly up to the company offering the service. There are no standards for that, some will charge $400 for a full install while others will change $400 per seat for an install. And while we are talking about money, I recommend that all companies that do install VICIDIAL and make money at it donate at least 5% of the profit of VICIDIAL-related sales back to the project to keep it going and keep it free. 5% isn't much, especially since it's 5% of the profit margin, but it does add up if everyone that installs VICIDIAL does it.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby Op3r » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:42 am

Thats a good clarification matt.

restrictions on how many seats or such is the only complaints that I hear. might as well put on the website that says VICIDIAL has no seats restriction (**WARNING IT DEPENDS ON YOUR HARDWARE THOUGH)

yep donate to the project. In Code or In Cash does really helps!
Op3r

Postby rain » Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:32 am

Thank's for all the clarification matt. It helps a lot.
rain

Postby mflorell » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:04 am

I just posted more information related to this topic here:
http://www.eflo.net/VICIDIALforum/viewtopic.php?p=5197
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion