Vicibox New Install - Adding phones issue

Support forum for the ViciBox ISO Server Install and ISO LiveCD Demo

Moderators: enjay, williamconley, Staydog, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba

Vicibox New Install - Adding phones issue

Postby alxmrt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:29 am

Version: Linux Vicibox 2.6.34.7-0.7-PAE #1 SMP 2010-12-13 11:13:57 +0100 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

I hope the above is right....noob here be kind :|

We have recently installed Vicibox onto a test server as we are planning switching over from our hosted PBX/Dialer.

I have run into an issue though, the software installed etc perfectly no issues and i followed the walkthrough line by line. Afterwards as i was working through the Managers Manual i was unable to Add a new phone succesfully.

I have added it within Vicidial and waited a couple of minutes i am unable to connect to it via X-Lite or one of my hard phones. Is there something i'm missing?
Thank you
alxmrt

Postby alxmrt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:36 pm

i should also add that the prepopulated "gs102" phone works..i added a new phone with the extension "104" and everything else was exactly like the "gs102" entry but it does not work.

Its driving me insane trying to figure this out, i feel like i'm missing something completely obvious. The tutorial for adding a phone did not work either..
alxmrt

Postby williamconley » Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:43 pm

1) do not use a 3 digit number on the top line. Use at least one CHARACTER followed by any number of digits you like. (ie: x104 is good, 104 is bad). Then you can copy the gs102 for the rest (replacing 102 with 104). The value in the top line is the one used for registration login value in the sip phone.

2) you can add 50 sip and 50 iax phones all in one shot with a script in the extras folder :) (this requires running the update_server_ip script afterwards to reassign all these phones to YOUR server, because they'll all be assigned to 10.10.10.15 if i recall)

3) after you make this change, 60 seconds later your system should "reload" (verify this by having the CLI running, it will visibly run a lot of code past when it reloads)

4) just before it "reloads" (actually on the :00 of each minute), it should rewrite the sip-vicidial.conf file. Verify this by making an innocuous change to the file (add an X on a comment line?) and ensuring that it changed. Also check to see if your new phone is listed.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby alxmrt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:52 pm

first of all thank you for your help.

I tried changing the first field it now has an X in front of the extension number. Waited a few minutes and no change.

Nothing happened when watching the screen though on the Server. I'm guessing where i usually login root is where i'm meant to see the updates scrolling through? if not where do i have to look.

I apologize if this is basic stuff.

Thanks
alxmrt

Postby Trying » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:14 am

William, what is the reason for not using only digits on the top line?
Vicibox Redux 3.1.14 64 bit
Asterisk: 1.4.39.2-vici | VERSION: 2.8-433a | BUILD: 140411-1434
Sangoma A102D/E1
Servers: 1 x Database; 1 x Web; 6 x Telephony; 2 x Archive
Outbound and blended ratio 3:1 with full voice recording
No additional software
Trying

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:25 am

you'll need to learn to use some linux / asterisk tools.

find / download "putty.exe" (search chiark putty and just download the executable directly).

on the command line, learn to use "nano". it can be used to open/view/edit any text file on the system.

Code: Select all
nano /etc/asterisk/sip-vicidial.conf

also learn to use the asterisk console. it can be used to view detailed activity of asterisk while it's working (like the matrix!)

asterisk -R

I forget the technical reasoning behind it (i bumped into a couple reasons once a ways back when first starting, and immediately went BACK to vicidial's ccXXX method ... and promptly forgot my reasoning because I "conformed". LOL)

but a big reason is that i saw the brute force attack pattern: THEY assume a 3 digit number and always start with 100 and begin working their way up. if you have a 3 digit number ... the brute force attack actually has a chance to work. and i've had a few clients with losses from this. not pretty, they can eat any amount of money in any carrier account in a couple hours at stupid in the morning when you're sleeping. you wake up and a few thousand $ is just "gone". and no amount of arguing with anyone resolves that. but i've never seen 'em try "ccXXX" :)
williamconley

Postby Trying » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:30 am

Except after they read your post :lol:
Vicibox Redux 3.1.14 64 bit
Asterisk: 1.4.39.2-vici | VERSION: 2.8-433a | BUILD: 140411-1434
Sangoma A102D/E1
Servers: 1 x Database; 1 x Web; 6 x Telephony; 2 x Archive
Outbound and blended ratio 3:1 with full voice recording
No additional software
Trying

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:34 am

dude, if any of these guys actually had brains and paid attention to these forums ... well, let's just say the added startup security features in the latest vici are kinda cool. a couple more steps and the whole thing will be locked down.
williamconley

Postby alxmrt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:42 am

williamconley wrote:you'll need to learn to use some linux / asterisk tools.

find / download "putty.exe" (search chiark putty and just download the executable directly).

on the command line, learn to use "nano". it can be used to open/view/edit any text file on the system.

nano /etc/asterisk/sip-vicidial.conf

also learn to use the asterisk console. it can be used to view detailed activity of asterisk while it's working (like the matrix!)

asterisk -R

William,

Thank you for your help from what i can see the system does not "update" after a minute. i tested this by adding a phone and watching the CLI for a few minutes and the only thing that showed was the refreshing DNS lookups....

When i went into the sip-vicidial.conf file the only thing that was there was the "gs102" phone none of the phones i added are there..
alxmrt

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:50 am

1)

have you changed the ip address of your server

2)

when you post, please post your entire configuration including (but not limited to) your installation method and vicidial version with build.

this IS a requirement for posting along with reading the stickies (at the top of each forum) and the manager's manual (available on EFLO.net, both free and paid versions)

You should also post: Asterisk version, telephony hardware (model number is helpful here), cluster information if you have one, and whether any other software is installed in the box. If your installation method is "from scratch" you must post your operating system and should also post the .iso version from which you installed your original operating system.

Similar to This:
Vicibox X.X from .iso | Vicidial X.X.X Build XXXX | Asterisk X.X.X | Single Server | No Digium/Sangoma Hardware | No Extra Software After Installation

3)

Did you set the phone type to "SIP" for the phone(s) you added?
williamconley

Postby alxmrt » Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:57 am

i ran the update server ip script and its working now. Thank you for all your help and i will update my signature with the required info.

Thanks again
alxmrt

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:18 am

Welcome to the party! Go make some $$.
williamconley

Return to ViciBox Server Install and Demo