Logging

Discussions about new features or changes in existing features

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Logging

Postby artimus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:32 am

I would like to take this task on, but it is too big to put on my plate right now, especially since I don't have an environment where I can run the latest and greatest svn version.

Has anyone thought of adding syslog support to vici? I know there are lot of things going on at once, and a lot of what causes the most confusion is usually vici behaving normally. But if it were there my installation would have been a lot more painless then it was.

For example it would be nice if the hopper made a syslog message saying something like "lead # list # - Skipped - Foreign time hh:mm PST is out of range".

Also as a side note. I want to write a script that checks the current time and time zone to make sure everything able to run correctly. We built a working vici server, but it all went to hell when we shipped it somewhere with a different timezone. One thing that surprised me was the amount of places where the timezone needs to be changed. Does anyone who has experience building and shipping vici have a list of all the places that the timezone needs to be changed?

Our last issue was that we thought we changed the timezone everywhere. Although we changed the timezone on our remote mysql server, we never restarted mysql, so CURRENT_TIMESTAMP was always off by several hours. :)
Slackware 12 - Linux 2.6.21.5 SMP
Asterisk 1.2.19
Zaptel 1.2.19 (ztdummy) - libpri 1.2.5 - spandsp 0.0.3
IAX2 trunk to trixbox on the same LAN.
VICI / astguiclient 2.0.3
artimus

Postby mflorell » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:17 pm

I don't know that anyone has suggested syslog logging to VICIDIAL, but I'm sure it could be done if there was enough demand for it.

As for timezones, I would recommend setting your server timezone to whatever your destination is set to, if not you might want to use GMT +0.00 if it is being sent somewhere that you do not know the timezone of.
mflorell
Site Admin

Return to Features