How to Create a Database

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

How to Create a Database

Postby zeusmaxfield » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:51 am

If i'm going to create a database, im going to use CentOs, hhhm is there a manual i can follow? dedicated on making only the database server? i'm sorry im just a newbie on this and don't even have a background on linux, i'm just expanding my knowledge, started last month, i made a whole working system on one pc the database, asterisk vicidial in one pc. if im going to separate the database what are the steps im going too take??

Thanks. :?: :oops: :?:
zeusmaxfield

Postby williamconley » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:13 pm

That's not as difficult as it seems unless you approach it from the "dialer" direction.

Either:
Go to MySQL (or the maker of the database software of your choice, but I use MySQL) and look for the "how do you load this database onto this OS" instruction set. They are all about making it easy to use their software, hoping for you to purchase a "pro" version or tech support down the road.

OR:
Go to the maker of the OS (CentOS you said? www.centos.org) and either look for the simplest "LAMP" install, or a basic install and instructions for putting in a database after installing. LAMP would be for "Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP". and after you're done with the "Just install it from my disk" install, you'll have a functional OS with Database and Web Server so management can be done through web software.

And in both cases hundreds of "i don't know how to do this" people do it every day on the OS and Database websites. So it really isn't hard and there are a lot of support forums for it. If you can burn a CD (aka: .iso) from a download, you can get it going. Many of the sites even give you step by step instructions for this.

If all that is still too complex ... you CAN do the same install for your database server that you did for your Vicidial server and just not use Vicidial on it.

Then you can ask someone how to point Vicidial to it instead of the local Vicidial box. Once again not too hard to do, you'll likely figure it out without a lot of help.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby zeusmaxfield » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:09 am

Then you can ask someone how to point Vicidial to it instead of the local Vicidial box.

Meaning getting the vicidial work w/ the separate database server right? then creating more vicidial to work w/ the same database server.
How bout 5 vividial with 1 database server, possible??

hmmm what's the capacity of one vicidial?? i mean how many agent can it handle per vicidial? Am i at the right path? am i understanding this right??

Thanks
zeusmaxfield

Postby williamconley » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:07 pm

The general concept there would be to have vicidial on the database server and Asterisk Only on all the other servers.

Then the question would be how many Asterisk Servers could one Vicidial server control? For that you have to go to Mark. The power of a Vicidial Server Cluster is unlimited, really.

The ability to have one vicidial/database server controlling 5 asterisk servers is fairly common. I generally do single server setups. Mflorell handle ANY size server farm (he wrote the software).

Do you have (and have you read) the Manager's Manual?
williamconley

Postby zeusmaxfield » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:58 pm

I'am just confused w/ the terms. :oops: OK this is the scenario, I have two PC to create the system. I know that it can have 3 servers in it right? the web server, and asterisk server and vicidial server? right??

:?:
On PC A: i can have the web server and w/ what server? asterisk or vicidial?
On PC B: This PC can have one of the server right?

What PC holds what? Where is the Mysql? :roll: :oops:
zeusmaxfield

Postby williamconley » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:36 am

Vicidial is set up to be flexible in that area. You can use web server (vicidial), sql server, and as many asterisk servers as that vicidial server can "drive".

Three server setup is quite powerful and will allow for your best and easiest later expansion. For that I would either immediately get the manager's manual (do it yourself) or go directly to http://www.vicidial.org/contact_us.php and tell Matt that you want to set up an enterprise level system from the beginning. Of course, we can help with it also, and there are several other consultants out there happy to help, but getting the manager's manual is the best place to start no matter where you go, since ultimately YOU will have to run this system. The manager's manual will help you get things going from the beginning to daily operations and additional functionality after it is up and running.
williamconley

Postby zeusmaxfield » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:17 am

i have that manual already. But the terms used what's this what's that? what does it do? where is it location?
zeusmaxfield

Postby mflorell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:23 am

To put the database on a separate machine is fairly easy, just load MySQL on the new server and load all of the database tables on it(extras/MySQL_AST_CREATE_tables.sql) then set the /etc/astguiclient.conf file on your dialer to the IP address of the new database.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby zeusmaxfield » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:27 am

matt,
I have two
PC and i'm going to put 3 servers in it, the web server (shows the face of the vicidial), the asterisk server and vicidial server. where is where and what is what??

PC "A" quadcore
PC "B" dualcore

what setup to do??

i'm new on this, dont even have a bacground on linux. i started learning bout vicidial about a month ago. :oops:
zeusmaxfield

Postby mflorell » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:39 am

If you are new to this you should start with a single server setup and make sure you understand how VICIDIAL works before attempting a multi-server setup.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 pm

mflorell wrote:If you are new to this you should start with a single server setup and make sure you understand how VICIDIAL works before attempting a multi-server setup.

in fact if you are new to it, you should set up ONE server with everything, and after it is running properly use this:

To put the database on a separate machine is fairly easy, just load MySQL on the new server and load all of the database tables on it(extras/MySQL_AST_CREATE_tables.sql) then set the /etc/astguiclient.conf file on your dialer to the IP address of the new database.

but be sure your first clean scratch install works perfectly before you make any complex changes to your life. vicidial is powerful and just like chess it can get complex very quickly.
williamconley

Postby zeusmaxfield » Thu Dec 04, 2008 11:20 pm

Thanks for everything i'm going to try to study more so i can master this knowledge. thanks.
zeusmaxfield

Return to Support