upgrade and install

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

upgrade and install

Postby perlmutr » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:24 am

I have been running on my current software sine 2018 i upgraded in 2018. I want to move up to the latest version over our christmas closing. My plan was to update the database machine to the latest svn. then do a full backup of the database machine then remove asterisk v11 and install v13. again do a full backup of the machine.

at this point I want a clean 9.0.1 system. I want all of the latest security. I tried to install voipbl at an earlier time and it did not work.

on a new hard drive install vicibox 9.0.1. from my backup restore the sql database. copy the sounds directory to both the srv/www/htdocs location and the sounds directory.

I believe all of the conf files should be rebuilt from the database.

are there any other files I need to restore from my backup?

Once the database machine is built I will do a clean 9.0.1 install on my 3 dialers and archive.

I would really appreciate any input that you might have.

Vicidial Version 2.14b0.5 SVN 3019 DB schema version 1553 asterisk version 11.22.0-vici

I have a 4 machine cluster
Database/ WEB / Dialer machine dual: quad core Xeon 2.67 GHz 48GB mem / Dialer 1 dual: dual core Xeon 2.80 GHz 8GB mem / dialer 2 core i5 3.0 GHz 4GB mem / dialer 3 core-2 duo 2.93GHz 3GB mem / soon archive I3 3.1 GHz 10GB mem
.. all machines except archive have 2 nic's.. one internal and 1 external for traffic.
perlmutr

Re: upgrade and install

Postby williamconley » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:25 pm

When you rebuild a system, you need to bring along for the ride:

* DB (which will usually require upgrading to match the new system)
** Be sure to modify the "server" and "system settings" entries to match the new system.
** We often copy those two tables or individual entries as necessary from the fresh install (after certifying it). Presents a challenge if you have a cluster, but still possible if you're careful.
* Any uploaded audio files: Note that the prior audio store folder may have changed, so that system setting for the folder is important.
* Any custom php/agi/html scripts
* Any direct customizations of any conf files
* Note that conf file settings/deprecations may kick and make life difficult if you have customizations to any conf files directly
* Note that conf file deprecations and changes also apply to Carriers and also to modified sip/iax templates, since those are written into files which have those same rules.

We have also had a few clients do an initial buildout in a virtual server to test all these theories and get the process down without risk to the live servers. Reduces implementation time over the vacation when you'd prefer not to be working.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby perlmutr » Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:44 am

Thank you William for replying to me. Here is my game plan. As you said I have no desire to be working over the holiday so I want it to be correct the first time

I will have backed up all servers and copied backups to another machine.
I have already copied my custom /usr/share/asterisk/sounds files to another machine
I have no custom php/agi/html scripts or direct customizations of any conf files

My plan is to only deal with my 'full service' database machine thruout the upgrades an the do clean installs of 9.0.1 on the dialer and archive machines once the database/web/dialer machine is working.
On the database machine i have already run

cd /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk
svn up

now it will be time to run on database machine

Going into mysql and executing the upgrade sql file:
a) mysql
b) use asterisk
c) \. /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk/extras/upgrade_2.14.sql
d) quit
then i must run perl ./install.pl

I now should be up to date and should reboot and make sure things are working.
If all is good do a full backup and copy to another machine.

Now we want to upgrade to Asterisk 13.

1) mkdir /root/old-ast
2) cp /etc/asterisk/* /root/old-ast

Remove Asterisk 11 and install Asterisk 13
1) zypper rm asterisk asterisk-dahdi
2) zypper rr 6
3) zypper ar https://download.opensuse.org/repositor ... sk-13.repo
4) zypper --no-gpg-checks ref
5) zypper in asterisk asterisk-dahdi
6) cd /usr/src/astguiclient/trunk
7) perl install.pl --asterisk_version=13 --copy_sample_conf_files --no-prompt
8) cp /root/old-ast/modules.conf /etc/asterisk/modules.conf (if you backed it up, otherwise copy from another server or don't worry about it)
9) In the web interface, go to Admin --> Servers
10) Click on the server you changed to Asterisk 13
11) Change the asterisk version to '13.18.2-vici' and hit enter to save
12) reboot
verify system and server settings. At this time i have only worked with my database machine.

test to see if all is well then backup again.

on a new hard drive install vicibox 9.0.1. and from my backup restore the sql database. copy the sounds directory to both the srv/www/htdocs location and the sounds directory.

test to make sure it is working properly.

Backup the database machine. it should be complete.

I will do a clean 9.0.1 install on my 3 dialers and archive.

I should now be finished.

Please let me know if I missed anything. Thank you again and have a good holiday.

Vicidial Version 2.14b0.5 SVN 3019 DB schema version 1553 asterisk version 11.22.0-vici
I have a 4 machine cluster
Database/ WEB / Dialer machine dual: quad core Xeon 2.67 GHz 48GB mem / Dialer 1 dual: dual core Xeon 2.80 GHz 8GB mem / dialer 2 core i5 3.0 GHz 4GB mem / dialer 3 core-2 duo 2.93GHz 3GB mem / soon archive I3 3.1 GHz 10GB mem
.. all machines except archive have 2 nic's.. one internal and 1 external for traffic.
perlmutr

Postby williamconley » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:09 am

my advice would be to perform in-place upgrades first. it's NOT necessary to alter your OS or any packages to upgrade vicidial.

do that one or two days before you perform the full reinstalls (if you need to ... we rarely re-install unless the new Asterisk version has custom features). IE: If you want ViciPhone you'll need to re-install ... but only on the Dialers. It's not really necessary to reinstall any of the other servers for the web phone.

If you perform the full upgrade of the Vicidial codebase and Database schema, then when you perform the full re-installs, you'll already know the codebase works and has been tested. Then the only possible challenges become the deprecation/upgrade involving the asterisk conf files for your carriers and any templates you've edited. Usually those are not a big deal, just technical and easily resolved.
williamconley

Postby perlmutr » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:17 pm

OK so i upgraded my database , took a backup then on a new hard drive i ran the 9.0.1 install.

ran yast lan to config then rebooted.

i have no connectivity. no routes are shown, ifconfig shows nothing if i try to add a route i get network is down.

anybody have any ideas????

It appears looking at the system services that the wicked services are failing to start for eth0 and eth1 but if i insert my old drive and reboot they are fine

it appears that bnx2-mips-09-6.2.1b.fw is missing. in fact /lib/firmware/bnx2 is missing

HELP???
perlmutr

Postby williamconley » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:23 pm

if that file is firewall related, it may never get created because your network isn't up.

check the network creation files in /etc/ and see what the difference(s) are to find why one OS creates the network properly and the other doesn't.

also try yast network to see if you can find your problem. Note that this is not a Vicidial issue so much as an OS issue, you may find much more help on the OpenSuSE site to find why this OS is not properly firing up your networking. Often a simple mistake.
williamconley

Postby perlmutr » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:54 am

i believe that this file is the firmware for the Two dual port embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme® II 5709c Gigabit Ethernet NIC which come in a Dell r610 server. If i look in /lib/firmware there is no bnx2 directory at all. it exists when i install from vicibox 7 or vicibox 8 but never created in the phase 1 vicibox 9 install.
perlmutr

Postby williamconley » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:01 pm

likely stored in a different place. OSs change their tactics and vicibox 9 is a pretty big OS jump from 8.

but i digress: this is an OS related question and not so much a Vicidial/Vicibox related question. You may be chasing your tail with that file when you should just be trying to use standard methods for that OS to get the network online. I find it hard to believe the OS would not recognize a network card from a Dell server ... but we aren't using Vicibox 9 yet so I can't say for sure it works on our Dells.
williamconley

Return to Support