External Phone Not working

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

External Phone Not working

Postby jheengoo » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi

So I have created this phone with client PROTOCOL EXTERNAL, As far as phone creation is concerned, it works. I have entered an actual phone number in its dialplan number, but when I call the extension 2001 from dialer, it says that invalid extension. Also I am not able to register this phone using zoiper, although I can login as agent using this phone.

I see following in asterisk cli when I call this number

-- Channel 'SIP/SkyetelCA-0000001f' sent to invalid extension: context,exten,priority=default,2001,1
-- Executing [i@default:1] Playback("SIP/SkyetelCA-0000001f", "invalid") in new stack

Asterisk 13.21.1-vici
VERSION: 2.14-675a
BUILD: 180520-1749
© 2018 ViciDial Group
Vicibox 8
jheengoo

Re: External Phone Not working

Postby williamconley » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:43 pm

If the protocol is external, you can't register a SIP or IAX2 phone to it at all. Just like you can't register a SIP phone to an IAX2 protocol phone.

Calling one phone from another is relative to the system setting "Generate Cross-Server Phone Extensions" in a multi-server system, and requires dialing the correct number otherwise.

I note that your asterisk cli snippet does not include the actual dial attempt. You also didn't provide the actual phone configuration (which includes the dialplan number and the contexts). Note that the registration password field is not used so leave that off. If you create an "s" extension either in its own Carrier setting or by adding it to an existing carrier setting, ALL dial attempts will be shown in the asterisk CLI. Without that, quite often dials that do not match any extension patters (ie: carriers or phones) simply don't appear because there's nothing to do. But the "s" is a "fallback" extension that will be shunted to if no matching diaplan entry exists, thus showing you at least some of what happened. We like to include a Generic Carrier with this entry in the dialplan:

Code: Select all
exten=> s,1,AGI(agi://127.0.0.1:4577/call_log)
exten=> s,n,NoOp(No Dial Pattern Matches This Extension)
exten=> s,n,Hangup

Then you can at least conclude your attempted dial didn't match anything and take corrective action.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to Support