Which order to change IP's

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Which order to change IP's

Postby Rudolfmdlt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:20 am

Hi All,
Vicibox 4.0.3 on a DL380 (DB) and 320's (Dialers) | SVN 2004 .

I recently had to change the entire subnet of a small cluster. I ensured that the subnets could route to each other, but still, one dialer did not come back into the cluster. in the astGUI config file it was still pointing to the OLD DB ip address. I needed to go from 192.168.202.1(DB) to 192.168.200.1. The dialers are .2 and .3 respectively. I reformatted the entire setup so all is well now.

What I did was:
[Dialer]
1) Yast lan, change the IP and default gateway.
2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl to tell the DB that the dialer's IP has changed

--repeat for each dialer---
Then
[Main DB]
2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl to update the DB and then to tell all client dialer servers that the DB has changed?

Reboot the lot.

Is there anything wrong with this approach/procedure? What is the best way? And also, any good way to debug it?

Thank you for your time and any point in the right direction.

Regards,

Rudolf
Rudolfmdlt

Re: Which order to change IP's

Postby williamconley » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:06 pm

2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl to update the DB and then to tell all client dialer servers that the DB has changed?

What exactly do you mean by "tell"? It seems that you mean "modify astguiclient.conf" and change the DB ip address.

It also appears that you missed one.

Just a guess! 8-)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby Rudolfmdlt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:01 am

Hi William,

Sorry for my casualness! :)
What I executed (What I think it did?)

What I did was:
[Dialer]
2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl. (This tells the DB that the dialer's IP has changed ? )

--repeat for each dialer---
Then
[Main DB]
2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl. (This is to update the DB and then to tell all client dialer servers that the DB has changed?)

What else is missing here?

Regards,

Rudolf
Rudolfmdlt

Postby williamconley » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:04 pm

2) Run ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl. (This tells the DB that the dialer's IP has changed ? )

[Insert horrible buzzer sound]. Nope. This changes all occurrences of THIS server's ip to THIS server's new ip in the database tables. And only if this server presently has access to the database (which is handy for making changes in the DB ...).

The DB IP (if it changed) must be changed manually in the astguiclient.conf file.
williamconley

Postby Rudolfmdlt » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:17 am

Awesome! Thank you!

So to confirm:

1) You need to physically change the IP yourself on all machines.
2) if I am changing the IP's of dialers, then I use the ADMIN_update_server_ip script.
3) If I want to change the DB IP, I need to manually do it on the DB, and then configure the astguiclient.conf on all machines manually to reflect this change?

Are there any other conf files of interest or log files useful for debugging when making such a change? Thanks for the help so far William! I really appreciate it. It's fun picking apart how the Vicidial system works (and breaks.).

Have a good weekend.

Regards,

Rudolf
Rudolfmdlt

Postby williamconley » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:53 pm

after you change the ip of any server, you must run the ADMIN_update_server_ip script on that server. and reboot it.

if you change the IP of the DB server, you will also change the astguiclient.conf file on each of the other servers (in addition to running ADMIN_update_server_ip script on the DB server and rebooting it). and reboot each after you change the astguiclient.conf file. be sure the db server is "up and running" before any other server.
williamconley

Postby Rudolfmdlt » Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Perfect! Understood. Thank you very much!
Rudolfmdlt

Postby VFRDavid » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:50 pm

Mr. Conley...

From the Vicidial Multi-Server Manual by Poundteam v1 1.pdf:

Changing IP Addresses -- Run IP Change Script
Run script on all the other servers BEFORE the MySQL

1. On each NonMySQL, run the IP change script (Record the IPs of each as you go)
2. On the MySQL, run the IP change script for each of the other servers
1. Will require manual entry of the IPs (You did record them in step 1?)!
3. THEN run the IP Change Script for the MySQL on the MySQL (Last)

Based on this post, looks like I should be editing the /etc/astguiclient.conf file on each NON-DB server to update the VARDB_server => 111.222.33.44 prior to running the ADMIN_update_server_ip.pl?
David
VFRDavid

Postby williamconley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:56 pm

Yes. The VARDB_server entry must be changed manually unless you run the install.pl script to update it. If you are not in need of running that script (which is only needed during an upgrade), then manually changing that value first is how to tell the Dialer where its DB server is. Without that, it will have no idea where to make its requests. This is necessary whenever you change the IP at which the non-DB servers access the DB. Note that if you have two IPs on the DB server, and the one that the non-DB servers access the DB is not actually changing, then you have no need to change that value at all. This is fairly common when you have a public IP and a private IP for all servers and you use the Private IPs for the servers to communicate with each other on that private network (often with a Gigabit switch on a private network with NO other traffic which then needs NO firewall for faster, secure inter-server communication).
williamconley

Postby VFRDavid » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:59 pm

Thanks for your reply.

I have always run the script for the non-DB servers twice - as is stated in your Multi Server PDF - once directly on the non-DB server and once on the DB server for each non-DB server's change - most times, I would not update each astguiclient.conf files until after the IP final update on the DB server for DB server's old / new IP.

I get that the script updates local .conf files as well as values in the asterisk database - but, does the order of the astguicleint.conf update matter (before or after the local non-DB executes the ADMIN ip update script)? Or, as long as one iteration of the ADMIN ip update script can communicate with the DB server for the non-DB servers, we're ok?

More curious than anything - not noticing any issues on clusters I did the astguiclient.conf file update last - but - if there are any potential / experienced issues - I would like to know so I can double check them ASAP.

Thanks again...David
David
VFRDavid

Postby williamconley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:12 am

VFRDavid wrote:does the order of the astguicleint.conf update matter (before or after the local non-DB executes the ADMIN ip update script)?

Nope.
williamconley

Return to Support