the OS of vicidial install

All installation and configuration problems and questions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

the OS of vicidial install

Postby jslyg » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:55 am

pls post some stuff here,if you successfully install vicidial on some liunx OS? please tell me ,which of OS you use?
ps: vicidial just can install on slackware??????? :oops:
jslyg

Postby mflorell » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:34 am

I have installed it on CentOS, RedHat Enterprise, Gentoo and Slackware. I recommend Slackware because it's the easiest platform to get VICIDIAL up and running with in my opinion.
mflorell
Site Admin

vicidial install

Postby jslyg » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:20 am

Hello,mflorell
would you like write something ,about Asterisk/astguiclient install from scratch,using centos(asterisk@home),redhat,or some ohter OS?
the installation like slackware? i just install the same step as slackware?
where can i find some installation data about ohters OS?
when you are free,can you write a paper for us?THANKS :oops:
jslyg

Postby mflorell » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:21 am

We are working on a trixbox install, but there are many issues with the mish-mash of packages and code that make up trixbox and we are trying to find the most compatible solution.

If you understand Linux you should be able to install VICIDIAL on RedHat or CentOS. Most of the instructions are the same, but you may have to take a few extra steps depending on the version you are using.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby kchung » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:43 am

I've also successfully installed Vicidial on a virtualized machine via Microsoft Virtual Server 2005 R2 using CentOS 4.3. There are some tweaks that need to be done to get Linux on Virtual Server, and there are some kernel patching that needs to be done to get some things compiled. Overall, it works fine but I think there's excess latency in the conference call.
kchung

Postby mflorell » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am

The zaptel timer is the messy thing in Asterisk on VMware because the image that is running has no real control over the CPU clock which leads to problems when you open another application while it's running or do anything that might take cycles away from VMware. Not to mention that it is horribly inefficient to be running windows and Linux on the same machine if you are trying to get good performance out of your Asterisk server.
mflorell
Site Admin

ntpd ,,time problem

Postby jslyg » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:04 pm

ntpd is the network time protocol daemon that matches the time on your machine with the time of a master server somewhere in the world.
I use it to adjust the time our servers,my client computers is windows,the time i dont adjusted. THIS afftect my apply about VICIDIAL??
jslyg

Postby mflorell » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:52 pm

ntpd has nothing to do with the zaptel timer used in meetme conferences.

the zaptel timer is what counts out 1000 ticks every second. This has to be hardware-based to work properly. On 2.6.13 Linux and higher this can be done fairly well with the Linux kernel directly. You can also use a Zaptel card like the X100P which has a timer chip that does nothing but very accurately count out 1000 ticks per second. This is what is lacking in VMware and VirtualPC(Microsoft's virtual-machine core) and cannot be done accurately on the Windows platform to realtime-app specifications because of the Windows core.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby kchung » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:25 pm

mflorell wrote:The zaptel timer is the messy thing in Asterisk on VMware because the image that is running has no real control over the CPU clock which leads to problems when you open another application while it's running or do anything that might take cycles away from VMware. Not to mention that it is horribly inefficient to be running windows and Linux on the same machine if you are trying to get good performance out of your Asterisk server.

Yeah, thats what I figured out. I'm actually using Microsoft's Virtual Server not VMWare but I'd expect the same results. FYI, zttest showed around 95% (8192 samples in 8454 sample intervals 96.801758%) and the meetme latency was about 1 second from the time a speaker was heard by a listener.

It was an experimental build to see if the product is suitable for my company. We have found it to be great and have started installing it on real hardware.

I think Asterisk is actually very usable in a proper VM environment, as long as there is no need to use meetme or other things which require timing OR we use TDMoE.

I wonder has anyone approached VMWare about creating a timer hook or something for these types of RT applications?
kchung

Return to Support