How Do I connect two Asterisk servers same location?

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

How Do I connect two Asterisk servers same location?

Postby amicheals » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm

I am running vicidialnow as outbound only. We are switching to all voip in the office as our main lines. My boss did not want to touch the vicidial installation so we got another server and loaded elastix on it. Now in the office we will have 2 separate pbx's. Can I connect these 2 asterisk servers to use the same phones and keep vicidial dialing out on server A and regular office calls coming in on Server B.

Can they use the same phone, or will I need 2 separate phones. I am using softphones for vicidial and cisco phones for the office calls.

Thanks for your help
Amy
amicheals

Postby mflorell » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:46 pm

You can keep the same phones, you will just need to set up an IAX trunk between them and DIDs on the Elastix server to send calls to phone on there from the VICIDIAL server so the agents can login.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 pm

Or you can hard code the locations of the phones into the Vicidial server so it sends calls to them and tell the phones to accept "anonymous" incoming calls. Then the phones will "register" with the elastix server and be used there for general purposes, but when the agent "logs in" the vicidial server can still call them. I'm not sure if they will show "busy" in elastix with this sort of setup.

The key is to not use "dynamic" settings in SIP, so vicidial will know where they are. Unless you can register multiple sip accounts on your phones (which some do, but I assume if you had phones capable of that, you would not have asked).

This avoids bouncing the calls through the Elastix server, but then Elastix does not know what is going on (probably). If you need Elastix to know, you can test this method and if it does not show status, then use IAX trunking between the two servers.
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Return to General Discussion