Vicidial system update

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Vicidial system update

Postby anoop.kr » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:40 am

Hi all,
Is it recommended to update a production system as the updates are released or often ? Can it have any adverse effect ?

Regards,
ANOOP
anoop.kr

Re: Vicidial system update

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:19 am

We usually recommend updating the VICIdial code on your system at least once a year, but there shouldn't be any adverse effects of updating more often.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby martinch » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:29 pm

You can move to any release cycle you want...but you may miss bug fixes and features depending on the frequency of your upgrades.

I tend to find a new feature or two or a series of bug fixes get pushed into the trunk every week so it all depends if you want your setup to be able to easily access these new features and fixes upon release.

As with anything, it's all up to you. If your ViCi setup is working well and you're happy as it is, why change it. My engineer at work tells me "new is not always better"...that old adage but it may be true for many :)
Project Lead @ mDial -> https://github.com/TheBlode/mDial
martinch

Postby bronson » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:24 am

Follow up to this question,

If we do a
Code: Select all
zypper ref

then
Code: Select all
zypper up

but we haven't updated the SVN, can that have an adverse affect?

Should we only be updating the software after upgrading the SVN?

I think I'm running into some issues now from doing that, which I thought was a good thing
bronson

Postby mflorell » Thu Jul 20, 2023 12:51 pm

The VICIdial SVN code really has no impact on your Linux update, you should be able to update VICIdial's SVN code without updating Linux.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby bronson » Thu Jul 20, 2023 4:58 pm

mflorell wrote:The VICIdial SVN code really has no impact on your Linux update, you should be able to update VICIdial's SVN code without updating Linux.

Ok, but what if I do the Linux updates with an older SVN? Will that cause issues?
bronson

Postby mflorell » Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:42 am

It depends on how old the VICIdial code is. For instance, if you are using VICIdial code from 4 years ago and update your system to PHP8, then you will encounter errors. But usually it is rare for that to happen.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby bronson » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:22 am

mflorell wrote:It depends on how old the VICIdial code is. For instance, if you are using VICIdial code from 4 years ago and update your system to PHP8, then you will encounter errors. But usually it is rare for that to happen.

Thanks,

here's my vicidial version:
Version: 2.14b0.5
SVN Version: 3612
DB Schema Version: 1662
DB Schema Update Date: 2022-07-22 15:35:31
Password Encryption: ENABLED - S1 - C1
Install Date: 2022-07-22

My server is locked down with the whitelist firewall.

So if I do a zypper ref, and zypper up everything should be ok?

I was doing that on a weekly basis and recently my hopper stopped loading new leads. I made another post about it in the forum about the issue but I'm wondering if those updates changed something. :?
bronson

Return to General Discussion