Video about scammers in India using Vicidial

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Video about scammers in India using Vicidial

Postby dspaan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:16 am

I don't know if this was already posted but i thought it might be worth sharing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFRbUhhQmZs&t=
Last edited by dspaan on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
Version: 2.14b0.5
SVN Version: 3199
DB Schema Version: 1588
Build: 200310-1801
dspaan

Re: Video about hackers in India using Vicidial

Postby thephaseusa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:10 am

The video is about scammers tricking people into installing Teamviewer on their computers and then giving them Teamviewer access, and then once connected to victim’s computers, gathering user/password credentials for banking sites to be able to steal from them and their accounts. VICIdial is just depicted as a program used to telephone their victims, and not as a hacking tool.
thephaseusa

Re: Video about scammers in India using Vicidial

Postby dspaan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:25 am

Yes i know but i think we all suspected vicidial was used by these malicious callcenters but this confirms it. Luckily there is also good news:

http://narrative.ly/this-indian-cop-too ... nter-scam/
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... scam-case/
https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/24-defen ... us-victims

It's amazing how big these operations are and how much money is stolen from people. Good to see they get long sentences.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby thephaseusa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:43 am

Yes im glad they are getting caught too.

Number 1, i dont think you can say these criminals are “using” vicidial any more than you would say a criminal was “using” a landline to call people. Yes their crime is over the phone. Land line cell line voip line whatever. Vicidial has nothing to do with that.

Number 2, the video shows the program in play is actually Teamviewer. They get access to victims computers through the program teamviewer. However, Teamviewer is a great program ive used it many times. Why someone would give some mutt in India their teamviewer ID and password and then let them search their PC until they found banking logins is hard for me to understand. But i guess some idiots are dumb enough to do it.

Anyway, this doesnt have anything to do with vicidial. You make it sound like vicidial was at fault. Vicidial was just the phone they used to call people.
thephaseusa

Postby dspaan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:03 pm

I did not mean to make it sound like that at all. They are just using vicidial in a range of tools of which teamviewer is also one of those. And i don't think you can compare vicidial with a landline. They are a callcenter and if they would be using commercial software i think they would be easier to catch or do you disagree?
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Postby thephaseusa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:32 pm

Yes sure you have a point. But all they are using vicidial for is to call numbers. They could use a landline a cell line, a magic jack or another dialer to call people. Vicidial isnt part of their scam or crime. Now vicidial allows you to transmit any caller ID number you want, that may play into their avoiding detection. But vicidial isnt the only way they could do that either.

I watched the video. Wasn’t it cool the way the guy got them to allow him teamviewer access to their computer? And then he acted like a computer novice and slowly downloaded all their files?
thephaseusa

Postby dspaan » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:51 pm

The video is hilarious. There are more video's of the same guy doing similar honey pot stuff.
Regards, Dennis

Vicibox 9.0.1
dspaan

Return to General Discussion