If vicidial can run on redhat 5/SLES 10/11

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

If vicidial can run on redhat 5/SLES 10/11

Postby unicorncn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:13 pm

As I know, some server hardware can only support redhat/SLES, if vicidial can run it.
I just try to install on this two OS version, and find there is some error with build(especially with asterisk) when patch order by "SCRATCH_INSTALL.txt", if no patch then can build, but vicidial further is lost. All software version is strick order by the document.
If anyone success on this two OS? If some special need notice? Thanks.
unicorncn

Postby mflorell » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Try OpenSuSE, it is much better than RedHat and vicibox is built on it so you know it will work.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby unicorncn » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:37 pm

Mflorell, thanks.
Yes, opensuse if very easy to install and work better, but some servers not support opensuse (special SAS RAID card driver), so can only install vicidial on these two kinds OS.
unicorncn

Postby mflorell » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:57 am

Please detail which cards don't support OpenSuSE, we have not found one yet that is not supported on that platform.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby williamconley » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:39 pm

and remember that is always temporary!

when some hardware first emerges, drivers are written by the manufacturers for certain os's and not for others. then the drivers are built for each os as time goes by.

when you find that the drivers are not available, wait a month and try again.

in this case, however, if you have not tried the Vicibox installation yet, try it and find out if the drivers for your hardware are already installed.

then, if the drivers are not available or for some other reason you find it absolutely necessary to use redhat, contact the people at vicidialNOW who have built a specific method for installing on CentOS which is related. (or download vicidialNOW and see if that works, and if it does not have the drivers you can still borrow the installation technique from the .iso!!)
Vicidial Installation and Repair, plus Hosting and Colocation
Newest Product: Vicidial Agent Only Beep - Beta
http://www.PoundTeam.com # 352-269-0000 # +44(203) 769-2294
williamconley

Postby unicorncn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 am

Thanks both, mflorell & williamconley.
My Raid card is ASUS PIKE 6400, no drive for openSUSE, and no plan to support it known from factory.
I'm trying install on SLES 11.0, it seem the kernel config has not lost when recomplile, I order as the http://azrael.crashsys.com/conf/opensus ... nstall.pdf.

I see there is writting, if any kernel update, we can require a update kernel config in the forum. But I not know where can I get the help here. My kernel is 2.6.32.12-0.7.

Anyway, thank you very much for your advice and help.
unicorncn

Postby mflorell » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:50 am

Looks like this is a Marvell RAID controller, and Asus does not have a specific Distro driver, it's a generic Linux utility:
http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=7S0E1RAfHhM9Twtl

This should work with OpenSuSE just fine.
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby unicorncn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 am

Still cannot install, for there is only the RPM package for special OS(Redhat 5/SLES 10), no any source code pakage. I find the SLES 11 has included the RAID card drives, but I not know how can take it from SLES 11. I'll try it. And I try to rebuild the SLES 11 kernel but no quickly. Thanks mflorell.
unicorncn

Postby mflorell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:30 am

The manual for that driver says that it supports SuSE Enterprise Linux, which will work on OpenSuSE. Why don't you try that?
mflorell
Site Admin

Postby gardo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:11 pm

Vicidial can definitely run on RedHat/CentOS. You just need to tweak the kernel for optimum performance. VicidialNOW is based on CentOS and CentOS is based on RedHat. The kernel of VicidialNOW is already tweaked for Vicidial.

The RPM driver package normally comes with it's source (SRPM). If it's available you can compile it on CentOS or VicidialNOW. Is there an SRPM package?
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Return to General Discussion