Question about server spec

Any and all non-support discussions

Moderators: gerski, enjay, williamconley, Op3r, Staydog, gardo, mflorell, MJCoate, mcargile, Kumba, Michael_N

Question about server spec

Postby seanbrowne » Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi all,

I am planning an install for a 30 seat call centre.

Because recordings are resource intensive I have been considering using a seperate server running Oreka TR.

Before I make a decision, is there anyone here would be good enough to let me know your experiences running Vicidial WITH recordings on a single server? I would be interested to know approximate server spec, codecs in use, recording format, number of simultaneous calls, and any other information you feel might be relevant.

I expect a fair spec* server will run all the components of vicidial happily with 30 concurrent calls being recorded but it would be good to hear of your experiences.

*When I say a fair spec server I mean something like Dual or Quad Core Xeon, 4Gb RAM, 10krpm SCSI in RAID 5.

Thanks for your help,

Sean
seanbrowne

Postby gardo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:18 pm

Are you going to do outbound, inbound or blended calling?

Recordings are resource intensive depending on the format you're going to use. I would recommend recording in wav format then converting them to gsm or mp3 during off-peak hours. Utilizing RAMdrives also offloads a lot of cpu cycles from the system.

I have a single server that does 40 agents (30 outbound with 1:1 dial ratio and 10 inbound) very reliably. All calls being recorded and using E1 PRI as it's trunks. Hardware is a quad core xeon with 4 gig of RAM.
http://goautodial.com
Empowering the next generation contact centers
gardo

Postby seanbrowne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:05 pm

gardo wrote:Are you going to do outbound, inbound or blended calling?

Recordings are resource intensive depending on the format you're going to use. I would recommend recording in wav format then converting them to gsm or mp3 during off-peak hours. Utilizing RAMdrives also offloads a lot of cpu cycles from the system.

I have a single server that does 40 agents (30 outbound with 1:1 dial ratio and 10 inbound) very reliably. All calls being recorded and using E1 PRI as it's trunks. Hardware is a quad core xeon with 4 gig of RAM.

Hey thanks Gardo, recording in WAV then converting later is a great idea. I don't suppose the change of filename (extension) will be a problem for playback in Vicidial? I know Asterisk doesn't require a file extension at all.

If the calls will be outbound over SIP or IAX2, utilising GSM or g729 from handset right through to the ITSP would it be ok to record in the same format or is it better to still record in WAV and convert later?

Thanks,

Sean
seanbrowne

Postby Michael_N » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:34 pm

how fast is your connection to itsp?
Michael_N

Postby seanbrowne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:46 pm

Connection is not finalised yet. It may be 2Mb SDSL or it may be 2 x load balanced ADSL lines.

(ISP claims upto 2.5Mb upstream on each ADSL).
seanbrowne

Postby Michael_N » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm

it needs to be synkron connection like sdsl same down and upstream
Michael_N

Postby seanbrowne » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:56 pm

It needs to be?

Can you explain why? I have many customers on Asynchronous connections.
seanbrowne

Postby issam123 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:03 am

Hello
can someone share his experience with vicidial and oreka.
issam123

Postby seanbrowne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:13 am

Hi Issam3,

I will soon be able to share my experience as I am implementing the solution in the next few weeks.

However, I will use Oreka on a SPAN Port (Catalyst Switched Port Analyzer) on the network switch which means the Oreka functionality will be completely independent of the rest of the PBX system.

Cheers,

Sean
seanbrowne

Return to General Discussion